Friday, February 03, 2006

Malditos Churros!


I used to think of churros as amusement park fare, but around here they're apparently what you have for breakfast when you're craving dessert--kind of like a donut, only much, much better. Our new pal Jeff (see Alan's great entry below) took us to try these at a favorite spot of his, Granja-xocolateria in the old gothic part of the city (across the Ramblas from yo truly). That mug you see above is not coffee. It is chocolate. You dip the fried sugary dough in the chocolate and then, if you're so inclined, top it off with a little whipped cream. It's as good as it sounds.

Alas, I continue to give the impression that *all we do around here is eat. In fact, we take long walks between meals after which we shop for the next meal.

We also watch TV.

Yes, my Spanish teacher showed me a way to get our TV set to display subtitles in Spanish. So I went home, flipped on the set, and with some difficulty managed to get subtitles for a dubbed version of the David Lynch's "Mulholland Drive." The first word I learned to say in Espanol using this method? "Fuck." Similarly, while watching a subtitled "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" in Peru earlier this year, I learned how to say "damned hippies." And they say TV isn't good for anything.

--JENN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home