Thursday, October 12, 2006

Burning Man!


It is, in fact, impossible to talk about one's experiences at Burning Man without sounding, well, like everyone else who talks about their experiences at Burning Man. This is perhaps why I have taken so long to post about it here on our travel blog. It was an awesome, transformative experience. OK? We want to go back. OK? Our pictures, which look like everyone else's pictures, are available here. And, no, we are not naked in any of them.

Here are a few highlights:




1. Arriving in an hour and a half-long white out. Sand + wind = blinding conditions, though I was able to make out a man in a bunny costume dancing with two scantily clad women atop an RV.



2. Managing to accidentally park directly across the street from our camp without realizing it (it was dark), and, on our first trip to the portapotties running into our friend Andrew, dressed in lingerie and sporting a fresh mohawk. In a city of 38,000, the chances of this happening are very, very slim. A fortutitous beginning, to say the least.

3. Speaking of Andrew, it was he, Alan, and I (plus a few other friends) who came up with Yearning Man, an alternative celebration for those of us who refused to go to Burning Man. Hard to explain, but Teletubbies factored largely into YM, so imagine my surprise to be camped directly across the street from the camp that projected the Teletubbies each night at dusk. (Andrew, who was also there for the first time, took way more pictures than we did.)

4. Camp Zero Expectations was way better than I expected. T
hanks, Wolfie and Space Man, for allowing us to join you! Bryan! Reem! Michael! Alan's college friends sure are wonderful to camp with.






5. Geotensic dome! 18 feet of pure playa luxury. Thanks to our friend Jen for loaning it to us.

6. Back to bunnies. I caught the bunny parade, and one fellow dyed his dick orange and his pubic hair green. I, for one, was so glad he went there.






7. The waffle! The flower and the venus fly trap! Mega watt! The cubitron! Serpant mother! The art was stupendous and simply defies description. You had to be there. Really.



8. Riding your bike across the playa in the middle of the night is a sensation like none other. I miss it all the time.

9. When soft rock is heard, pancakes are served. We had our fill and got plaid shirts out of the deal.



10. We were arrested ... by the Black Rock Fashion Police for looking too normal. They gave us an instant makeover and we were soon on our way. Thanks for the corset, officer. I plan to wear it next year.

Next stop, Beijing and Hong Kong. See you soon!
--JENN





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home