Monday, February 06, 2006

Torino borino

Apparently there was a Superbowl. We would have missed it if we were in the States, but here we couldn't help but miss it. And now we hear Winter Olympics (do those even count?) are to be held somewhere in Italy called Torino. Those who would interpret our obliviousness to sporting events as either snobbiness or cluelessness or both will have to bite their tongues because on Sunday Alan, our visiting friend Steve Mockus, and I had a little triathalon of our own.

First event: Barcelona Flea Market
Challenge level: Medium
Can you maneuver yourself through the thick crowd and avoid getting burned by people who walk in crowds with cigarettes while finding yourself a great bargain on a 1960s Esperanto primer? Alan and Steve tied for Gold while Jenn was disqualified when severe claustrophobia caused her to bag out and watch from the sidewalk.



Second event: Breakfast
Challenge level: Low
Trinxat and the tortilla sampler were on the menu at this thrilling post-flea market event. It was looking to be a three-way tie, but Steve and Alan got distracted looking at their new finds leaving Jenn as the clear winner.


Third event: Who can take the best photograph of Barcelona's Olympic stadium torch?
Challenge level: Very high
In a stunning turn of events, the jury is still out on who actually won this nail-biter of a competition, which took our athletes all the way up scenic Montjuic (wheeze wheeze), past the pan flute guy playing "Every Breath You Take" (we nearly lost Jenn when the song got lodged in her head). ONce there they had to tromp around for at least half an hour (exhausting) looking for the entrance to the Olympic stadium park area. Alan made the daring choice of shooting on film while Jenn and Steve used dependable digital formats.


At the end of the games, rivalries are cast aside and competitors remain good friends who can all appreciate the sight of this full moon rising over the beautiful city of Barcelona.

--JENN

1 Comments:

Blogger Bonnie said...

Hola compadres! I was just checking on your blog as I have been, when I noticed that you have no comments. I thought I would rectify this. I have been thoroughly enjoying your posts. Please do not stop writing about the food; it is fascinating. Jenn's account of the triathlon was hilarious. I only wish we had been there to compete -- I am sure I would given her a run for her money at breakfast, while Bart (if he had made it up the hill) would have shot the moon most elegantly. Hugs to you both... wish we could come visit!

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home